Re: RC: Handling Pastured Horses

Dear Terry;
Your problem lies in not being the boss of your whole herd.  Your boss
gelding doesn't recognize you as his boss, or else you wouldn't have any
trouble with him.
I would carry a crop, and boss him around.  I would stand in front of
his food and keep him away as long as I wanted.  Watch and study  what
happens in a herd.  There is research done on it.  Be the boss.  It is
the only thing that works.  Horses are very sensitive to body cues, you
need to act the part of the boss.  You know what he is going to do, tell
him otherwise.  Don't let him give you any garbage, out-think him and
make him guess as to what you'll do next.  Throw small rocks at him if
he gets out of your reach, instead of the crop, to control him.
Another thing I've found is that with me as head boss, it gives any
horse I take out bonus points with the herd, for being the chosen one.
I ride one gelding, who is actually lowest ranking, but doesn't care,
and the youngest gelding, just starting under saddle, is horribly
jealous of him.  He wants to go out, as it shows that he gets
preferential treatment by me, the herd boss.  It seems to improve their
status in the herd.
Oh, also, once you master the boss, you automatically are the top dog
with all others.  They understand this instinctively.
Speaking of rocks, the other day I wanted my gelding to eat the hay I
leave in his spot and the younger one decided he wanted it.  I stood on
the hill and tossed rocks at him until he moved off.  He kept coming
back, and I kept popping him with stones.  It made him so mad, he hopped
up and down, shaking his head.  Finally, he gave up and went off to eat
his own.  There was nothing he could fight.  I won.
Katee
First thing, you have to be smarter than the horse.

--
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.