Re: RC: Kidney problems?

JPascu@aol.com wrote:
> I would suggest having a DVM check him out. The kidney's are fairly deep in
> the horse so the probability that you are palpating soreness there is low.
> But I wouldn't rule it out. The sluggishness you mention is interesting to
> me. As is the fact that therearen't rubs from the saddle and that the problem
> is bi-lateral doesn't flag riding or saddle to me.
> I would go with the DVM assure there's not some systemic problem, if there
> isn't then I would look for a subluxation.
> Have you made any shoeing changes recently?

Jim,
I think you have hit it right on the head. This horse has had a
history of
back soreness, lameness, and stumbling. I have tried many
different saddles,
different bits and worked hard at improving my riding and
balance. I knew this
time it was not the saddle, or bit and because it came on
suddenly, when I was
doing less riding.

But this past winter I started doing something different to his
feet. Instead of
getting him trimmed and shoed like I usually do, I decided to
let his feet wear in
a more natural way, so I kept him barefoot. I did a lot of
riding this winter though
lots of snow and mud. No stumbling, no back soreness, or
lameness. So I decided to
keep him barefoot and use easy boots. Well his feet were getting
very square so we
had the same farrier that always does his feet come out a couple
of weeks ago and trim his feet. Guess what? The stumbling and
the back problems reappear! I figured that
the stumbling was connected to the trim, but I never connected
the sore back
to having his feet trimmed until you mentioned it! I didn't like
the trim that
he does, he leaves the heels too long, and the bottom of the
foot does not
look balanced. That would explain his back getting sore even
though I have
not been riding him. Because he has over 40 acres to run in.

I do know of a farrier who I have heard knows how to do the more
natural trimming.
He lives over 100 miles from me, but I would be willing to
trailer my horse to
him. I have plans on doing a two day 50 mile LD ride in the
Black Hills the end
of May. What do you suggest I do to help my poor horse over this
so I can
still compete on him in a month. I can't ride him the way he is.

And he is going to the vet to get a complete checkup too.

Thanks a lot for any help
Lynette