Weight Divisions

I've been chuckling at all the weight division posts recently.  In the 15+ years and 6,000+ miles that I have been riding endurance I have never finished "in the jackets" for my weight division (lightweight) until the 1998 ride season, probably partially due to the creation of the new Pacific Southwest region.  I have never had much concern for the year end division awards until I saw my name posted throughout the ride year in the weight division standings for my region.  I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that I enjoyed seeing my horse's name in print.  Because I don't ride fast and never top ten, unless 10 or fewer horses finish the ride, I analyzed why I was in the placings.  Last year I rode 8 fifty mile rides and 2 one hundred mile rides on Koztarr, for a total of 600 miles.  The weight division points earned in the 100 mile rides are what kept me in the year end placings.  Am I proud of the jacket? You better believe it!  Do I like the weight divisions?  Yup!  My advice to anyone who wants to place "in the jackets" for their region is to ride 100 mile rides.  You don't have to ride fast but you do have to "ride, really ride".

Last year's regional weight division award jackets aren't fancy, and they won't keep you warm in a blizzard, but they are a nice way for AERC to recognize its members for their accomplishments.  I have often thought that overall national championship awards should be eliminated since they have become a trailer race, but perhaps with this year's format they will be more meaningful with the head to head race.

I may never place in my regional weight division again, but I will always enjoy wearing my 1998 jacket.

By the way, for those of you interested in endurance bloodlines, Koztarr's dad was the great sire Koszar (Kosciusko x Zariffe), who died this year at age 34.  Jeff & Cheri Briscoe are standing MMF Faramir+/, a son of Koszar in addition to DR Thunder Bask+//, who was recently inducted into AERC's Hall of Fame.  My 2 mares are partbreds by the great sire Sierra Fadwah+/ (Fadjur x Judhi) owned by Jim & Jackie Bumgardner.  Judhi was a full sister to Bezatal, who won the Tevis Cup in 1965 and 1967.  Pedigrees do make a difference from my experience.

To Finish is To Win,

Marci Cunningham
& Koztarr & Fire Mt Torch & FM Moonshyne+/