Pit Stop 50

Karen Chaton karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us
Finally!  We got to do a ride in excellent weather this past weekend.  The ride was in Silver Springs, Nevada out on Highway 50.  It actually took place about 4 miles from where the Derby Ditch ride got cancelled due to a blizzard (just two weeks prior).  It was nice getting to ride in nice warm weather on such a beautiful day - 80 degree range.  The trail was somewhat different from the previous year but it was just as nice (mostly good footing) and a little easier, since we didn't get to go on any BLM land we couldn't do the radio tower hill.  Which was probably a good thing because of the warmer temps (most of the horses in this region still have winter coats and have not acclimated - we're used to 50 degree temps!).  I went by myself...well not really...I had Weaver and Whinny (dog) with me :).  I had such a good time...the trail was well marked and the BBQ burgers at the end of the day were really nice.  A few friends came out and visited - Nikki from Fallon and Amy and Julian from Silver Springs.  Plus the ride was close enough that I could come home and sit in the hot tub...ahhhhhhh.  I have no idea how many horses started which distance...the 50's started at 8 a.m. and the 25's 10 a.m.  One thing for sure, the trail was definitely not short.....we booked along pretty good and it still took most of the day.  I think the heat got to me more than the horse....though one thing that was unusual for Weaver on this trip...he kept going straight for the beet pulp!  Nikki thought that it was something that had already been eaten and well...ah....expelled by the horse <bg>.  Well, you gotta admit it really doesn't look that appetizing, does it?  hehe

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Weaver, 2,580 miles