Truck Question - Dodge

<< On 04/20/99, Sally Aungier <aungish@UNOS.org> wrote
I have an opportunity to buy a super Dodge truck and would like to hear
from others who might have this same model.  I am interested in any
problems or attributes. (especially, longevity)
It is a 1995 V10,with  heavy duty towing package, leather interior,
standard cab with only 16,000 miles on it. He wants $18,000.  It has
been the personal truck for a friend who is also a dealer and he has
used it for hauling (antique cars) most of those miles.  He wants to
sell it only because as a dealer  he feels that he needs to be showing
off a newer model.  He really seems hesitant to part with it as it is
such a nice vehicle.  He indiated that it hauled over the Va. mountains
and left others in the breeze!
I'm currently driving a 1986 F250, a super truck that is just getting
high in mileage.  Even after all these years I'm a real wimp when it
comes to hauling since I'm so often by myself.  Most Va rides are either
in or over the mountains from us so I need a truck with some real power.
My trailer right now is not an issue, it is just a 2 horse stock.  I do
however, plan to upgrade to a 2-horse goose with living quarters in the
next year or so.

So what do you folks think?  Should I go for it?  And if I do does
anyone want to buy a really nice F250 with 170,000 miles and a brand new
radiator?  It runs great.

Sally Aungier
Now, where are all those folks who have asked if I was interested in
selling my truck when it wasn't for sale? >>

Sally:

My wife and I are the proud owners of a 98 Dodge dually.  We bought
it new and it currently has around 22k miles.  It has been back to the
dealer once since we bought it, to repair (under warranty) the cruise
contol and to have the emissions control chip reprogrammed to meet
California standards (we live in Missouri, I haven't figured that one out).
We are very pleased with the truck, which has the Cummins diesel
and is currently getting 19 empty/12 loaded.

The price quoted seems a little high to me, for a 4 year old truck.  Is
it a 4x4?  The Dodge V-10 is an incredibly powerful engine, so if you
want to make some extra money pulling stumps, you can ;-).  The trade-
off is mileage, so I would ask some serious questions about the type
of pulling it was doing and the resulting mileage.

One problem/quirk that we have run into.  Ford & Dodge seem to be
having a contest to see who can raise their 4x4's the highest in the
air.  If you aren't careful, you can run into clearance problems
between the bed of the truck and the neck of a gooseneck trailer.
If you are ordering a new trailer, you have to order it with a 6" raise
or offset in the neck to make sure you have enough clearance.

Regards,

Lem Beason