Ride story (long)

I am sitting here in training drinking non diet soda , eating chips and chocolate bars.
I attended the Western College of Veterinary Medicines LD ride this weekend. It was soooo much fun. When the awards were given at the end Jerald won best condition. It was said by Dr. Trish Dowling that the front runners scores were so close it was the weight of the riders that decided.
Ya don't have to be fast just fat. That's why I figure it is easier to eat then train.
Really Jerald is one of the best sports I have ever met. We tease him mercilessly and he just laps it up. We did sell him to Lari Shea as crew for the Pan Am. She got a bargain because we realized to late we should have sold him by the pound. It must of been a good year cause the ring he put on his trunk is a good one.
I was in charge of "Newbies riders" and Trish loaned me Cruise who is fit and ready to do 100 mile race. Then she says go slow , stay with the newbies . If he wants to go fast collect him and make him canter like an Andalusian. 12 1/2 miles of cantering like an Andalusian and I found muscles I didn't know I had. I also found out he has brakes that work NOW. I found myself kissing his ears at my first request.
Before starting out I had a meeting to pass along things they should know. The most important is carry toilet paper so you don't have to sacrifice the sleeve of your favorite tshirt.
We saddled up , I lent some of them my loaner stock from my traveling tack business. ( Biothane tack, 1/2 chaps , EZ boots ,just a quick commercial for THE CANADIAN TRAIL HOUSE)
We rode out into the field behind Trish and Brians house to let the beer drinking, cigar smoking , crotch scratchin' men race from the start out of control and going for the BIG win.
We trotted from their yard under control and nobody fell off passing Trishs herd of sheltie dogs cheering from the pen.
 I ended up riding with Lori  riding a really nice arab mare who had been on the track. The horses name is Porcelain like fine china not toilet she was quick to point out. She kept asking if she was killing her horse, then she asked if I was killing her horse. (vbg) Porcelain did great we walked the last 100 feet into the vet check and she was at 60 beats immediately. We had walked and trotted mostly.
I asked where the pulse area was. 18 vets at a ride is a good idea. No pulse lanes just vets:-)
One of the vet students handed me a coke and I think she should get top grades for taking care of the rider and the horse. They had donuts another favorite. Sugar and coke will take you along way.
I think the hold was 45 minutes. The front runners had galloped out as we came in.
My other newbies were about 30 minutes behind us. Cruise can't go that slow. This horse walks at 7 miles an hour.
We watered and fed the horses. I loosened the cinch but Lori untacked completely.
I knew Lori was getting hooked on the endurance sport so I nudged her a little. I checked with timer (GLEN a really nice single guy who is a drug rep for a major firm if any women are interested call or email Trish) as to when we could leave. I started telling her to get tacked. 5 minutes. She disappeared into the house ( you had to remove your shoes) to pee. Gee where did I go wrong I gave her t paper and they had a big straw pile you could hide behind and leave your shoes on.3 minutes call and she is still not tacked up. She can tack quick cause when they gave the 30 second call she was saddled and ready to go:-D
We left at a gallop waving good-bye and headed out across the field. It was a much quicker 12 1/2 mile loop home and both horses looked great. We cantered into the yard and both horses pulsed down fast. I put Cruise in his pen and he kept jumping around and calling out to tell me we better get going . Sheesh he was just getting warmed up what about the other 75 miles. He looked good.
The vet students are the greatest. IMHO we have some of the most promising , enthusiastic vets coming our way soon.
The meal was a terrific pot luck dinner. There was fire shooting chili , roast pork , salad you name it we had it.
The neighbor called just as it was about to start and the beer drinkin , cigar smoking , crotch scratchin , fire fighten guys had to go put it out but that just added to the excitement.
They returned heroes smelling of smoke and flexing muscles.
Dr. Dowling then gave out the awards and we smiled as the "I am not competitive guys " sat in anticipation of who got best condition. Jerald won because he gained more weight over the winter.
That is why Ya don't have to be fast just fat. Vikram the first place winner cioned that phrase.
( foot note : Jerald is real tall so the extra weight looks just fine on him)
Thanks to Trish and her students for a great ride. It was a great way to introduce people to our sport.
Paddi