rattlesnakes

Denise,
Having grown up with a brother who collected live snakes, I have not had the fear reaction that many people suffer. I had to learn about snakes to survive. I taught my children, when we lived near a creek and woods, to recognize the 4 poisonous snakes of North America.  They were very good at this. They are now grown.
Many times I have encountered snakes on the trail in Texas and Oklahoma. Rattlers and water moccasins (also called cottonmouths) can be very aggressive, whereas copperheads tend to run. I learned one defense from the Australian kangaroo rat. Kicking or throwing sand at the snake's head will make it retreat, as it cannot blink. A rattler across the trail in my way was dispersed this way. I had to get off the horse to throw the sand.
A cottonmouth once refused to move, rearing and opening its mouth. The only way I could go was where he was, so I had to get off, find a big stick, and kill him. He wouldn't move no matter what I threw. Hopefully, I won't have to do this again. I much prefer to leave them alone. But I had to get home before dark!
Most snakes I have seen have just been lying alongside the trail and haven't even noticed us. Once my horse trotted over a copperhead. I didn't see it until we were directly over it. He didn't even notice it. He never spooked at the others, either.  I guess I am lucky there. (He spooks at dangerous stuff like logs and boulders!)
Just keep your cool and keep riding. If one gets in the way, remember the sand trick. Hope this helps.
Mary