Re: RC: Riding on dirt roads

Sarah Roxanne Zawacki wrote:

>  The good news, thank God, is
> that there are dirt roads behind our new house <SNIP>  My question is this: does anyone out there have tips for riding
> on dirt roads?

You will need to remember that the packed dirt on the roads is harder on
his skeletal structure than soft trails.  You will want to build up to
this type of riding.  His bones will remodel and become stronger over
time.

Even if the posted speed limit is 25 mph, remember that some local yahoo
will still drive 60 mph every once in a while.  Always be alert for a
"bail out" point.  We ride facing oncoming traffic (ie on the left here
in the US) and always ride on the outside of a curve where we have a
better chance of being seen.

We <really> worked on spooking...  I don't want Rocket to spook at a bag
and land in front of a car.  He can snort & look, but no spinning,
running, dodging, etc.

We try to stay friendly with any landowner we pass.  It slows down our
training rides, but we chat with the neighbors, take carrots from the
horse-crazy 9 year old, and <always> ask permission before riding off
the roads onto private property.  Here in WV, if a county road is not
routinely used and not maintained by the county on a regular basis, it
reverts back to the landowner.  I never assume that a road is public
until I check first.  The maps just aren't updated.

If there is an old dirt road that has fallen into disrepair, I get
permission to come back with a chain saw and loppers to clear it.  Most
of the landowners are happy to let me in to do this in return for riding
privileges.  It makes it easier for them to get back into their
properties during hunting season.  We all benefit (except maybe the deer
& turkey).

We always ride with a buddy, or leave a ride plan at the house that we
STICK to.  We have about a one hour lee way on the time to get back
unless we call.  I do carry a cellular phone sometimes, but the signal
can be iffy here in the hills.  Mike hasn't had to come find me yet.
Since I ride the only gray arab in the entire area (all others are QH,
Standardbreds, and drafts), the neighbors know who Rocket belongs to if
I ever got dumped.  I'd hope that they'd come look for me, but I KNOW
that Rocket would be kicked out into our front field.

Have fun exploring your new trails!

Linda Flemmer
Bruceton Mills, WV