two loop fifties

New subject for consideration.  I am trying to work up to doing 50 milers.  Horse is ready, but due to my body problems, its tough for me.  I went to a 50 miler that only  had two loops to it.  I pulled after the first loop because I didn't feel good enough to go on.  I feel that if the ride had been broken into 3 loops I could have stood a better chance of completing.  My questions are:1) how do you deal with a 2 loop 50 differently than a 3 loop 50, for both you and your horse?  Do you slow down even more?  Do you try to have crew out there with mash for your horse?  Are you more likely to get off and walk with your horse on a 2 loop as opposed to a 3 loop?  2)  Do you call ride management ahead of time to find out if its a 2 or 3 loop ride?  3)  Any other suggestions/thoughts/hints?  Thank you for any input!
Jan Mutchler