From: Jerry and Melanie Johnson <payback@dmi.net>
To: Knaptyme@aol.com <Knaptyme@aol.com>; ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999 3:33 PM
Subject: RC: Fwd: RC: Arab or TWH/or any other breed/P&R criteria

There is an Arab breeder living in Idaho that would disagree also!  Our mare, AM BUCKANIRS LASS+ (note that little symbol ) has 2 U.S. National Cutting Horse Championships (1997-1998) along with 5 other National wins including 1997 IACHA $5000 Novice Cutting Horse Champion..tons of Regional wins....and all before her 8th birthday.  She is owned by us, but bred by Bazy Tankersley (Al-Marah Arabians--Tucson, AZ).  Then there was Sheila Varian's RONTEZA who showed the QH world how it is done and beat their best on their own turf...the Cow Palace....who stumbled and fell, got up, blocked the cow and kept on going...winning the class.........and of course, the incomparible ARRAFF (a *RAFFLES gelding bred by Roger Selby) who was routinely shown cutting cattle bridleless.  He was so good that often his competion would grumble when he was shown as an entrant...at one cutting someone complained about the bit that his rider, Harold Brite was using....Bazy Tankersley (who owned him at the time) yelled to Harold, "They don't like the bit, Harold"...at which point Harold reached up and pulled off the bridle....won the event hands down.. In Allentown, Pennslyvania there was one calf in the cutting horse contest that none of the cowboys could cut.  ARRAFF, working without a bridle, tangled with this calf at a fance and of his  own accord, got down on his knees so as not to let it get by.......'Nuff said....I bit my tongue and sat on my hands when I read the first post...but am responding to the second....when our mare comes back to the ring after a year or so off to have a 'little cutting horse'..she will go back into the ring....and in Open breed competition.....Our stallion AM GHOST SHIP is the first Arabian our trainer has ridden who cut EXACTLY like a QH...his full brother, AM PHANTOM GALLEON, was first a cutting horse and then was campaigned by Becky Hart before his sale to the United Arab Emirates as an endurance horse.  What most folks don't know is that ALL breeds are judged by the same NCHA standards and rules..and often the same judges....a score of 74 is a score of 74 for every horse shown....one of the fairest, least political horse show classes that is out there today.... an athlete is an athlete is an athlete...
P.S.    8 of the 11 founding Sires of the American Quarter Horse were either sons or grandsons or BOTH of an Arabian stallion named JANUS.  The foundation mares were Chickasaw mares whose origin was the Spanish mustang who was what ????? Oriental in blood !!! I don't let the QH men kick me around too much.....

Melanie Johnson
PAYBACK RANCH ARABIANS
CARMEN, IDAHO

<< No - the sport defined the best competitors, just as cutting defined the
 Quarter horse as being a top notch cutter and penner. s

There is an Arab breeder in AZ that would disagree that Quarter Horses are
the only top notch cutter and penning horses out there :-)

Diane