riding pregnant

"Don't want to get flamed or jump on anybody's toes,
but an endurance ride is an inherently dangerous and physically strenuous
event -- nobody who has ever done one will argue.  My advice to the original
question is:  picture yourself riding with your newborn baby in a front pack
on your body.  Would you take that baby on a 50 mile endurance ride?  Why
would you in utero?  Having had two miscarriages myself, trust me, you don't
want the incredible grief and regret that comes with.  Take care and good
luck.

Sylvia (riding NOT pregnant is way better)"

In reply to the above :  I had a healthy 7 plus pound full term appearing baby (I think the dates were actually wrong).  I nursed him at vet checks, and took him shoeing with me for years (he played in the truck)  He has never even been on antibiotics or meds for ANYTHING, and is very healthy and well adjusted.  I did not harm him by riding.

I don't recommend riding while pregnant to anyone, I just said I did it.  I was a Division 1 college athlete in two sports, and a lifelong rider, fit, young, and had a good horse.  Teddy knew me then and can vouch for it........

By the way - I NEVER rode with him as a baby, and he has never sat on a horse without a helmet.  My doctor told me that he was fairly well protected by amniotic fluid, and that my biggest risk was that I fall, break a bone, and need x rays or other problematic treatment.  That has never happened, pregnant or not, in over 4000 race miles, or training.

I will say it again, I am not advocating anyone else ride or compete pregnant, I wouldn't advocate shoeing horses pregnant, but I did that also without incident.  I was just answering the question posed.

Also, I understand the feeling of losing a baby - I had a miscarriage before I had my son - it had nothing to do with riding, shoeing or any other activity.

Laura Hayes  NE