Riding Pregnant

This is in response to Drin and Jim's questions re: riding while pregnant.

My son is almost 15 yrs. old and did his last 50 mile endurance ride (I should have had girls....) at 7.5 months in utero.  I was third....I could have won if I wasn't carrying 30 extra pounds!!!  I think I could have competed longer, but it was early spring and my horse was young, so we were taking it slow.

My very progressive doctor (I went to three before I found one who told me what I wanted to hear) said to stop riding three weeks before due date.  I jumped on my horse bareback, cantered around the farm twice, and decided I was done for the term.  I have the baby the next day...it was only about three weeks after the 50 miles.

Three weeks after he was born I did the Scandia 75 in NE PA.  I did not have an episiotomy though - my doctor uses a massage and stretch system that avoids the need for sutures.

Mind you, I was 24 years old at the time and was a good athlete with more determination than brains sometimes. To each his own, and if you feel ok, you probly are ok.

By the way, my son teethed on a stethoscope and was literally 'raised in a barn' by a farmer dad, farrier mom, and horse vet step dad, but says when he grows up he is having ONE short haired cat and NO MORE.  Oh well...

Laura Hayes