Lakeside Classic

As usual, Ron and Barbara Sanches put on a great ride Saturday on the shore of Lake San Antonio on the Central California coast.  The ride consists of 2 identical loops over the rolling ranch land of the California coastal range.  This ride can be deceiving as John Parke showed over 9,000 feet of elevation change over 50 miles.  Two years ago, the last time I rode this ride, Jim Mitchell showed over 11,000 feet of elevation change.  The difference is a big hill that we used to have to climb twice that we didn't have to climb this year.  No complaints from me.

I met ridecamper, Sylvia Beverly, who was parked next to my rig.  We decided to ride together since it sounded like we wanted to ride at a similar speed ie slow.  On Friday it was windy, but Saturday dawned cold and still.  High clouds stayed with us all day and kept temperature cool all day.  This can be a hot ride if the sun comes out and stays out all day.  Did I say it was cold Saturday morning?

We started after the main pack and maintained about a 7 mph pace for the first loop.  I was expecially pleased with Koztarr's recoveries as this was his first ride of the season and was still overweight from his winter vacation.  He recovered right along with Sylvia's Harca, who already had the Geo Bunbuster under his belt.  As we were coming into lunch, we saw the top ten leaving on their second loop.  Most of them looked really good at this point.  Later as we were about 6 miles into our second loop some of the front runners that were on their way home didn't look as chipper as they did earlier.

Being that this ride was run on private ranch land we had access to good water throughout the ride at the cattle troughs.  Because of the coolness we didn't need to scoop or sponge the horses as the water was icy cold.  No crews were allowed at the vet check but you didn't need one as ride management provided the necessary amenities.  I especially liked having a porta potty at the vet check.  Sylvia liked the potato chips and cold drinks in the afternoon and our horses really appreciated the alfalfa hay that was thoughtfully left.  One thing nice about riding slow is that you get to take advantage of leftovers at the vet checks.  Right Sylvia?  All in all it was a fun ride that we finished at 4:30 with great looking horses.  I think 55 horses started the 50 miler and 25 started the 25 miler.  I don't know how many finished at each distance but Sylvia and I finished 31st and 32nd.  This was a good training ride for Tevis.  Lari Shea won the fifty miler by a good margin and also got best condition.

This ride is operated as a benefit ride for the Vietnam Veterans of Monterey County and Ron and Barbara have contributed much to this organization over the years.  I might mention that the camping facilities were wonderful this year as the showers were working.  Also the dinner is a great spread of roast beef, beans, salads and garlic bread.  No one went home hungary!!

We did have to drive home in the rain on Sunday but at least it stayed dry for Saturday.

Next year put the Lakeside Classic on your 'must do' list.

Happy Trails,
Marci Cunningham
Bakersfield CA