Re: RC: Glucosamine Question

As I usually do when stuck on some nutritional details, I consulted Jamie
Brooks on this question. The exchange went as below:

ti

>Jamie,
>
>Before I stick my foot in my mouth, perhaps you could give me a skeletal
>philosophy here.
>
>ti
>
>Subj:	 RC:  Glucosamine Question
>Date:	4/12/99 10:31:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>From:	mtnridr@pacbell.net
>To:	ridecamp@endurance.net
>
>Good morning!
>
>My vet wants me to start giving my 18-year-old Arab mare a joint
>supplement. So now I've got all my catalogs out and I've been
>poring over the various products out there these days.  I found a
>supplement that is pure glucosamine--no Vitamin C, E, yucca,
>L-methionine, manganese, etc. (my vet recommended glucosamine
>only--not chondroitin sulfate).
>Question #1:  Is pure glucosamine with no additives an effective
>way to give joint supplements, or is there a synergestic thing
>going on that requires the additional vitamins?  She is already on
>Dynamite, and being fed oat/timothy/alfalfa hay and
>oats/corn/barley (dry).
>Question #2:  I am told that glucosamine sulfate is much more
>effective than glucosamine hydrochloride.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks!
>Chris
===== Comments by jamie@vita-flex.com (jamie) at 4/12/99 5:33 pm
Sure thing. First off, it's a myth that glucosamine sulfate is better than
glucosamine HCl - check out http://www.vita-flex.com/gsglcompare.htm and
http://www.vita-flex.com/faqslubepage2.htm for more on this subject, and for
info on glucosamine vs chondroitin sulfate. There's even more to the GS vs
GHCl story, but perhaps it will suffice to add that all glucosamine
supplements get thoroughly ionized in the stomach, so only free glucosamine
is delivered to the small intestine, where it's absorbed. Therefore, the
form of glucosamine does not impact absorption. Also, as you'll see at
http://www.vita-flex.com/gsglcompare.htm, the amount of sulfur is so low it
makes a negligible contribution to the horse's sulfur intake.

Glucosamine is an almost perfect case of a nutraceutical that serves only a
NUTRITIONAL role - it has almost no activity in and of itself. It feeds the
systems that create chondroitin sulfates and other GAGs, and the system that
creates hyaluronic acid. It is also involved to a lesser extent in collagen
formation. Because it is a building block rather than a "natural
anti-inflammatory", it depends a good deal on overall nutritional status to
do its job; if other building blocks and/or enzymes are in short supply,
glucosamine won't be able to "stimulate" lubricant production to its full
capacity.

That's why we blend glucosamine with a large (5 gm per serving) amount of
vitamin C - a perfect match, in light of C's critical roles in GAG, PG, and
collagen synthesis and protection. Chondroitin is also a helper nutrient,
though its actual "synergy" is still open to debate. I think your
correspondent will get the best results from something like Flex GL Max,
which sells at a low price and delivers the big levels you need to get the
job done with glucosamine. We get great reports on it.

Don't know why the vet said no CS, but we still hear of horses who do better
on Flex Free than Flex GL or Flex GL Max - there are individual variations
out there that are nearly impossible to predict - best rules of thumb are:

if cost is absolutely no object, feed 1) Generation and 2) Flex GL or Flex
GL Max
if cost is not important, feed 1) Flex Free Max or Flex Free Original with
2) Flex GL or Flex GL Max
if cost is a concern, start with either 1) Flex Free Max or Flex GL Max. Try
for 30 - 45 days. If more relief is desired, either:
	switch from Flex Free Max to Flex GL Max or
	switch from Flex GL max to Flex Free Max or
	feed the two supplements together for another 30 days - a lot better?
->
keep it up.

Hope this helps!

James Brooks