Partial Hoof Avulsion /Shoeing Help

  Linda,
Please allow me to help reinforce Your Farrier's reasoning for using
aluminum egg-bars on the hind feet verses steel:
  I lean towards the same school of thought on the weight factor.
On any kind of trotting horse, the general rule of thumb, is to
have the front shoes and fore the same weight for balance, or
have the front shoes an ounce or two heavier to accentuate the trot,
not the opposite.
  We campaigned for two seasons, exclussively on G.E. aluminum
egg- bars, to two National Jr. Milage Championships.
  We would get six weeks out of them. One set did Randy Eiland's
3-day Cow-Tank Ride (180 miles) and went back a month later,
to do His 5-day Renegade Ride (285 miles).
  So Linda, I hope this helps.
                   Jim Porter