Re: RC: RC: Hollowing Question

In a message dated 4/9/99 7:47:50 AM Mountain Daylight Time, cyclone@snet.net
writes:

> I absolutely agree.  But HELP - wait a minute - you're getting ahead of
>  me here (could you throw us some definitions?):
>
>  > there is a holding in the
>
>  #1 - myofascia of the
>  #2 - cutaneous colli
>
>  >(it falsely acts
>  > like a
>
>  #3 - retinaculum),
>
>  > there is a
>
>  #4 - banding of fascia
>
>  > in front of the point of
>  > hip (again a false retinaculum to compensate for the lumbar flexion) ...

Definitions: 1. Myofascia - this is the fascia that surrounds and defines a
muscle. Myo = muscle. When we see a bulging muscle it's the fascial bag of
the muscle that is bulging and perhaps limiting further development. A
bulging muscle is strong but not flexible.
#2 - cutaneous colli - This is a muscle of the neck.
#3 - retinaculum - retinaculum are bands of soft tissue whose function is to
prevent the migration of tendons. In Rolfing we use this term to describe a
buildup or banding of tissue in an area of strain. It is a false retinaculum
because there isn't one there by design, it's a response to a stimulus that
can be relieved. I use the appearance of them to help figure out my
intervention.
#4 - banding of fascia- similiar to the above. This is a place where the
fascia has thickened and lost it's elasticity. The body has determined that
it is more important to protect from the movement occuring than to allow
more. Or it is trying to support a movement pattern that is not natural. For
instance the banding of tissue under the throat of some people that causes
them to have multiple chins.

>  And my next question is wouldn't this predispose a horse to damage of
>  the lumbosacral joint, lumbar vertebra, and/or sacroiliac joint?  I've
>  always assumed that a lot of equine low back pain is from overusing
>  abdominals without developing total self-carriage.  Yes/no?
>
>  -Abby B

When we overuse the abdominals, or any soft tissue, they become hypertonic.
In the case of the rectus abdominal there is a reciprocal inhibition of the
erector spinae group which leaves the spine somewhat hypermobile. In other
words the Abs turnoff the erectors, this is why the back rises when one does
a "crabbing" along the abs. firing the muscle spindles. The erector spinae is
off. This is a healthy response, the system is working. When we have a
chronic turning off of the erector spinae by abdominal hypertonicity that we
can get into some trouble. The spine has lost some of its support and the
sacrum has lost it's counterbalance to the pull of the hamstrings
(semimembranosus) which may allow a subluxation, ligament strain... a
"hunters bump". The end product, visually, of what I was describing, in the
chronic state, would be a roached back and a hunters bump. This, in my system
of thought based on my Rolfing training, is caused by restriction in the
shoulders. I use a wheel barrow analogy to describe this, if one is pushing a
wheelbarrow with a flat tire the hamstrings will get a good workout and
become over developped. If the horse has a frontend restriction the neck to
rearend balance, conformationally, will show it.
The exercises that Wendy described for the horse are excellent for helping
this. I took exception to the translation into the human structure.

hope this helped

jim pascucci
Advanced Certified Rolfer
www.equisearch.com/ibt