Leatherwood Challenge

Holly Leaman jrl111@cvinet.com
As a proud Grandmother I just have to post a ride story about the
best ride I have attended yet. This past weekend my Granddaughter
Eva and I completed a 25 mi LD. There is no greater feeling in
be able to enjoy such beautiful scenery and trails than with your
own family. To top it off Eva had only ridden in the mts. with me
one other time. She conditioned my 25 year old Crabbet bred mare
by herself. The day dawned sunny and cool,just perfect for a ride.
We started off the first loop after most other riders had left. We
walked warming the horses up for some distant. There were several
steep climbs which I thought might get the best of Eva or the mare
Abby. We had put the monitor on Abby to keep check on her HR but
she had no problem with the climbs. Eva was ok going up but the
coming down was time to get off and walk until she realized it
was harder to walk beside the horse than to hang on a ride down.
We made it in from the 1st loop in just over four hours with the
hold I knew we would have to push a little more on the 2nd loop
in order to complete in time. On the 2nd loop we left out with
temps in the 70's and a surprised grandma, Eva was ready to go!
We started most of the climbs at a walk but I had been battling
with my mare all day long to slow down, so I would let her break
to a trot until Eva would ask to walk again. For part of each
loop one of the volunteers named Paul rode with us encouraging
Eva. As we came to the 1 mile mark Eva let out a holler and
trotted over the finish line to such a cheering crowd that it
brought tears to grandma's eyes. I may be a little prejudice but
this was a very well run friendly ride even though it was Abby
Smith's first attempt at organizing a ride. We will certainly go
back. It was a dream come true for Grandma. Oh by the way Eva is
8years old.   Holly

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-