Re: RC: horse and trailer

Pam;

 Please see my response to Diane's (knaptyme @aol.com) message about trailer
because of the John Lyons' methods I used to teach them to get into the
trailer and out of the trailer.  The tape that JL made called "Leading and
extension of the cue when leading.  Leading exercises will teach your horse
to have better ground manners (useful by itself) but will also help when your
horse wants to blast past you stepping out of a slant or backing out of
straight load trailer.  Even horses that were bad loaders/riders can learn to
CALMLY load and ride.  That is the unspoken benefit to JL methods as when you
are teaching this technique you never proceed unless and until the horse is
calm at each step.  You don't rush the procedure but are adamant that the
horse respond to the "go forward" cue.  Also, the horse loads each one of its
feet many, many times and so unloads itself many, many times.  The problem
with lots of other methods is that you get the horse in because it is tired
of being tapped or it is seeking relief from ropes or prodding but once in,
it panics and wants out.  This is where the horse rushes out or turns around
in the slant and leaps out.  If the horse has gotten three quarters of the
way in and back out dozens of times it won't be such a big deal when it gets
in all the way.  You can then give it the cue to back out (usually just
pressure on the lead) and praise the horse for a good job.  After a short
break ask the horse to get in all the way again and back out with your cue.
Then start asking the horse to stay in longer while you bang the door or the
partition simulating the normal noise encountered when trailering.  If you
are going to allow the horse to turn around in the trailer to step out and
have worked with leading lessons you will be able ask the horse to stop its
feet and wait for the cue to proceed or even back up in the slant load
trailer.

April Lee (adlee@bigfoot.com)  recommends the Feb. and March "Perfect Horse"
as having the latest info from JL about trailer loading and I give that a
hearty "amen"!  Good luck with whatever you do and stay safe.

Melanie in AZ