re: RC: Need help with panicky horse

I found out about this when I bought a new horse a couple of years ago.
The seller did not remember to
tell me that he could not be tied solidly to a trailer.  He acquired the
habit as the result of an accident that
occurred when he was a baby and learning to lead and be tied.  I was told
that a trainer later made it worse
by trying to use a "Be Nice" halter on him.   He broke that one, too.
Anyway, I lost a good halter and a couple
of  lead ropes myself before I realized that there was a problem...

The "fix" was to not tie him solidly to the trailer.  Instead I started
with a longe line looped through the tie ring
about 3 times.  When he pulled it gave instead of the snap.  And he was
still tied.  Now, I still tie him this
way by looping the lead a couple of times through the tie ring.  And,  I
prefer to use a picket line in ride camp
because it works on the same principle - though the lead rope is tied
solidly to the tie ring on the line.  If it
"gives" then he quits pulling.   Also, I think that one of the bungee
ties might be used once the horse learns
that pulling does not get him anywhere...

Dave Bennett

you wrote:
>>Hello everyone. I have a 12 yr. old Shagya Ayrab who ties well in her
stall, out of her stall and ok in crossties, but not real good. Everytime
(which has only been about 6 times) I tie her to the trailer, she for no
good
reason, will back up, panic and break her halter and walk away. I think
it's
the big scary 2 horse trailer she's tied to but what can I do to "cure"
her of
doing this again? Anyone have any good training methods? She was ok to
catch,
but I don't like this happening time and again. I would appreciate any
help.