RE: Sliding side reins

LOL, First, I'd like to thank Alison Farrin  for the free plug to Dover Saddlery (I work there) and then I'd like to add another home-made training device similar to the sliding side rein. I use a bungie cord, approx 8-10' in length. What I do is tie knots in the ends, and use double-ended clips between the knots. I run the cord from one side of the lunging surcingle or saddle, throught the snaffle bit ring to between the front legs and around the girth of said surcingle or saddle. Then it goes back up through bit and snaps onto a ing again. I like the bungie because 1) it's cheap and 2) it has lots of give. My horse can toss his head all he wants while being lunged, but he figures out quickly that he's fighting himself. The adjustments are made by tieing more knots and placing the snaps along them..... simple, right?
Oh, and Dover is online at www.doversaddlery.com but we don't have many products up.

Marlana Pitas and LL Rheebok (Mom, just don't bring home any training items/presents for me, ok?)
South Attleboro, MA
www.tp.net/tp/users/lrp

<<<Also known as Vienna side reins, they run from the girth, between the
horses front legs, thru the bit rings and and back to the girth about
halfway down the horse's side.  They won't hit the horse in the mouth and
if he thows up his head to evade the side reins, they slide and then put
pressure on the bit from the bottom, encouraging the horse to drop his head
again and round.  You must be driving the horse forward on the lunge to
encourage him to step under with the hind feet.  Then as he gets the idea
that he can drop his head and round his back, he will eventually find that
this is much more comfortable than going around with his head in the air.
 Dover Saddelry carries Vienna Lunge Reins at $32.60 a pair, very
reasonable compared to some other catalogs.  800-989-1500
Don't think they are on the Web yet.
Alison Farrin>>>

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-