Re: Stone Bruise

Hi Pam,

Magnum came up with a stone bruise 2.5 weeks ago.  He'd pulled
his left front shoe and then pulled it off again.  He doesn't
have the greatest feet in the world (yes, biotin supplements
work great... I use DynaHoof from Dynamite... he gets it year
round).  Anyways, he came up lame 2 weeks before the show
last Sunday.

I had the vet out for different reasons a week after Magnum
went lame and he pulled the shoe and wrapped the foot in an
iodine bandage... Betadine on gauze wrapped in Elasticon and
then the easyboot over that...  which I then changed 5 days
later and 5 days after that.  I think it takes 4 years to get
through vet school because that's how long it takes to learn
to bandage a foot neatly in front of a worried owner.  He was
very off.  We brought him in from pasture and put him in a pen.

Vet said it would take 7 to 10 days to heal up... and that was
10 days ago.  Last night he was feeling much better.  You can
tell.  He's just more... Magnum.  Anyways, sure enough he's
trotting sound again.  After the show of course.

He'll go in real shoes today or tomorrow.  He'll be fine now.
Of course he's retired to arena work now.  Anyways, once
treated a stone bruise can heal up pretty quick.  Of course
it needs to grow out.  You might want to wait a bit longer
for endurance speeds...

:) - Kat Myers
in Moss Beach, CA with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic... resident Endurance Arab