sole and frog

No, Tom, I am not an expert....As far as the cleaning the cleft goes and getting thrushy- I would think that any horse who is going down the trail on any kind of regular basis and kept in normally clean conditions (not standing in manure) would not get thrush regardless of whether the clefts of his frogs are routinely cleaned or not.   My advise would be to clean the foot well with the reasoning being that there could be a rock, nail, piece of glass or other harmful item stuck in there - if the dirt in the cleft actually is helpful, it will accumulate there in between cleanings anyway....

All IMHO...

Laura Hayes, NE (an oldie)