Gelding's swollen sheath update

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
From Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net    (Lurker)

After much discussion, blood work, and Vet consultation fees paid,
there is still not a concrete reason why this horse's sheath swelling
in winter.
We have narrowed it down (by process of eliminating specific diseas
to 2 main components of the problem:
1) Very cold temperatures, and
2) Being idle
Exercise will reduce the swelling, but a moderating(outdoor)temperature
reduces the swelling more than exercise alone.  And, a warming outdoor
temperature starts to reduce the swelling, even if he's idle.
The best guess for this horse's problem is a lymphatic
blockage (or restriction) of some sort, maybe scar tissue
from an infection after gelding.

What's amazing to me is that there doesn't seem to be permanent
damage to the tissues i.e. that it can look like a tennis ball
in a sock for 2 months (cold to the touch) and then in a week
return to completely normal looking.

Although no diseases have been found.. I still wonder
why cold affects his circulation.  ALthough I'm not obsessing
about it any more.. I'll still wonder why it happens.

The horse is going to have a few Chiropractic adjustments this
year (and then wait & see if circulation is immproved next winter).

Barb

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-