Re: RC: Need help with panicky horse

In a message dated 3/31/99 5:31:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DAldr94141@aol.com writes:

<< I tie her to the trailer, she for no good
 reason, will back up, panic and break her halter and walk away. I think it's
 the big scary 2 horse trailer she's tied to but what can I do to "cure" her
of
 doing this again? Anyone have any good training methods? She was ok to catch,
 but I don't like this happening time and again. I would appreciate a >>

There is a type of halter with a nylon rope that goes over the poll of the
horse and then through the tie ring on the halter.  I think it's called an
anti-pull halter (Stateline Catalog has one).  Put this halter on her, tie her
to a good, stout tree (not a dead one) with a nice strong cotton rope (use the
safety release not) then "sack her out" -- verrrrrrry gentrly, you don't have
to go crazy with the sack, just rub her, flap if she seems o.k., etc..
Basically you want her to pull back.  The halter instantly causes pressure on
the poll (apparently unpleasant to most horses) and she'll pop back up.  Do it
once, then quit.  Try it again the next day.  When you can sack her out
without her pulling back....THEN, tie her to the trailer (make sure she's on
something soft) and basically see what happens from there.  Should be cured.
I had a mare who was a big-time puller and this type of halter cured her in
one session.  She NEVER pulled again, but that is my limited experience with
one horse.  I've never had another puller since (about 30 years worth) so my
puller experience is limited.  I have suggested this method to a friend who
has FOUR horses who pull back chronically, she said that it looked too "mean"
and wouldn't try it.  Well, to me mean is a horse pulling back, sliding under
the trailer and cutting itself up. OR hurting somebody else in the process
(which her horses have done).  Good luck to you!

Sylvia