mare's defensive/aggressive behavior

*Melanie,

*What an excellent post!  I am a big fan of natural horsemanship and like
the John Lyon’s method.  It sounds to me like you’ve studied up on it more
than I have though.  I want to <snip> a sampling from your post and ask
you to clarify if you don’t mind.  Your entire post follows as I dont think
it would
hurt to allow people to see it a second time and I nominate it for an FAQ
post!
(so there!)
<snip>
The purpose of the round pen is to gain control of the horse by controlling
the movement and direction.  It is NOT to wear out the horse or punish it by
working harder or to have the horse come to you when it's the horse's idea.
<snip>
<snip>

The mistake many make (and this included me until recently) is to let the
horse come in to you when it wasn't something you were asking the horse to
do.
The horse has taken control from you.  Later in the round pen lesson you can
cue the horse to stop, keep its eyes on you, turn to face you and eventually
to take the steps to come to you.  But all of these things HAVE to be when
you
are cueing for them
<snip>

Melanie, I find this quite interesting because I understood this part to be
to help a horse
gain its trust of a human, especially a wild mustang or whatever.  I agree
completely
with later on the control is from you and the horse is to focus his
attention on you and
not wonder.   The basic reward is releasing the horse’s stress by stopping
the pressure as well as allowing a connection of trust between the horse and
human.  Why trust? The horse connects it is the human who has released it
from stress.  This helps later on when the horse spooks or shies..helps the
horse look to the human for the ‘what do I do now...how do I react stage’.

Hope this is clear and it is only my interpretation.  Please elaborate if it
is wrong...

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab....”wow, you humans live in scary
 neighborhoods”!)
Off the mountain, now in San Geronimo Valley, CA

Original message follows: