Fwd: RC: Starved horses

In a message dated 3/29/99 1:30:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owensall@sierranet.net writes:

<< Dear Tom;
 I have been following the carbo-loading thread since I first signed on
 ridecamp.  Your latest letter, stating that Sarah Ralston "fears (that
 carbo-loading)...will cause a horse to die of
 spontaneous combustion" is amusing.  The truth is that we don't ride our
 h >>
I have been using "Carbo-Charge on my gelding the last 12 months with no ill
effects.  I give him a 1/2 dose (1oz) with his electrolytes before ride in am,
then each time I elec. him he gets Cc, as I mix it in his elec and put it back
in the syringe.  I have never used the full dosage recommended (2oz I believe)
as I use "stress pak" elec. and the sryinge is small.  I push out the amount
of elec. I will use in a bowl, then add Cc and apple sauce to mix and pour the
whole mixture back in sryinge.  I feel elec. are more important that Cc so I
make sure I use the correct dosage of elec.
My horse does not "charge" down the trail, but I feel that it helps him, just
like me eating a candy bar or some other sweet to help me.  Not enough to do
damage, just a little boost. He is in top condition and we do plenty of
training rides so the Cc is Not a substitute for conditioning!
But yes, you are right, there are some people out there who will try anything
to get that extra edge when a little  more conditioning would do or someone
new to the sport who does not know better and believes everything they read.
Remember WE ALL started at the beginning!  We weren't born with the knowledge
we have now.
Keri

---- Begin included message ----
Dear Tom;
I have been following the carbo-loading thread since I first signed on
ridecamp.  Your latest letter, stating that Sarah Ralston "fears (that
carbo-loading)...will cause a horse to die of
spontaneous combustion" is amusing.  The truth is that we don't ride our
horses like racehorses, and do not want them ACTING like racehorses. It
would be a GOOD thing for a racehorse to come out of the starting gate
very hot and run like the wind for a mile or however far he is asked to
go, like a bat out of hell.  It would be BAD for an endurance horse to
be like this at endurance rides.  I, like many others, do not appreciate
my horse running out of control at the start of a ride;  instead, the
horse that has learned to pace himself so that he has energy left at the
end of the ride is a blessing.  I do not know whether or not
carbo-loading is good for later in the ride;  I do know that many, many,
newcomers to this sport read ridecamp and do not need to be concerned
with carbo-loading their horses at the outset of their endurance career,
lest it be cut short due to an injury from going too fast.  They'd best
be more concerned with pacing their horse.
Katee Owens
--
I'm not tense;  just very, very, alert.

---- End included message ----