Re: RC: Starved horses

In a message dated 3/29/99 2:29:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owensall@sierranet.net writes:

<< Dear Tom;
 I have been following the carbo-loading thread since I first signed on
 ridecamp.  Your latest letter, stating that Sarah Ralston "fears (that
 carbo-loading)...will cause a horse to die of
 spontaneous combustion" is amusing.  The truth is that we don't ride our
 horses like racehorses, and do not want them ACTING like racehorses. It
 would be a GOOD thing for a racehorse to come out of the starting gate
 very hot and run like the wind for a mile or however far he is asked to
 go, like a bat out of hell.  It would be BAD for an endurance horse to
 be like this at endurance rides.  I, like many others, do not appreciate
 my horse running out of control at the start of a ride;  instead, the
 horse that has learned to pace himself so that he has energy left at the
 end of the ride is a blessing.  I do not know whether or not
 carbo-loading is good for later in the ride;  I do know that many, many,
 newcomers to this sport read ridecamp and do not need to be concerned
 with carbo-loading their horses at the outset of their endurance career,
 lest it be cut short due to an injury from going too fast.  They'd best
 be more concerned with pacing their horse.
 Katee Owens
 --  >>

Katee,

We're not talking about glycogen loading here. And we're not talking about
horses running out of control. Instead, we're talking about adequate glycogen
supplies, via grain feedings during training and carbohydrate supplementation
during rides. While it may seem, from the postings of others, that we're
talking about building a little timebomb, we're not. That's the problem with
misinformation--people believe it.

ti