Re: RC: Starved horses

>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:14:39 -0600
>
>At 06:52 AM 3/29/99 -0800, Lauren wrote:

>>Sarah Ralston wrote:
>>>
>>>  Haven't heard of ti doing any rides recently)
>>
>>That is EXACTLY the type of comment that does not belong on RideCamp. It
>>is mean spirited and not nice. You do not have to be a great basketball
>>player to be a great coach. You do not have to be a great rider to be a
>>great riding teacher and I could go on and on with examples.

>>It is O.K. to disagree and have constructive arguments but the last
>>thing RC needs or wants is another person jabbing at Tom or another
>>person, for that matter. I have been a subscriber for almost 2 1/2 years
>>and this is the first time that I have felt the need to comment about a
>>situation like this.
>>
>>In my opinion Sarah, you owe Tom an apology.
>>
>>Lauren

Excuse me, Lauren, but Tom Ivers has repeatedly and even more nastily
impuned both Susan's and my name, training and credentials (not top mention
Heidi, Joe Long and a list to long to go over). He has repeatedly implied
that we are "ivory tower" researchers that had no practical experience. I
was merely pointing out that we did have practical experience ("sandy
loam") in endurance whereas Tom's expertise (and I do NOT question this) is
in racehorses, and no, you don't have to be a jockey to be a great
racehorse trainer. But you do need to observe the horses you are training
and understand the stresses they are undergoing. I do not feel I owe him an
apology. I have been trying to stay out of the fray but his
recommendations, taken at face value, are really potentially dangerous to
endurance horses!! I have received private E-mails from several other
respected researchers/endurance riders complimenting me for being brave
enough to speak up! Tom, your nasty, sarcastic, name-calling responses to
anyone that does not agree with you have stifled a lot of good discussions.
Sarah L. Ralston, VMD, PhD, dACVN
Associate Professor
Department of Animal Science
Cook College, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
Ralston@aesop.rutgers.edu
732-932-9404