Re: RC: Sour horse? or me?

In a message dated 3/28/99 11:01:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers@aol.com
writes:

<< In horseracing we have a saying, "SOUR is spelled S.O.R.E.". >>

Good line, ti.  Yep, there is usually something painful SOMEWHERE.  In almost
2 decades of vetting rides, I've seen a DRAMATIC increase in the number of
horses with back soreness, which goes right back to the "style" of Arab being
bred for the "modern" halter look--the ones who can hollow their backs and
jack their heads straight up in the air the best.  I used to think that these
lines had some inherent soft tissue weaknesses or something, because they so
often went lame, but the more I look at them, the more I realize that they are
just beating their legs up to try to ease the back pain.  Of course, things
like dental problems can be a major factor, too--far too many people go to
more "severe" equipment to try to make the horse behave, when in fact he is
just trying to dodge pain.  Just collaborated with the local equine dentist on
a case a couple of days ago--the main complaint was that the horse was
headshy.  This mare was in good flesh and otherwise healthy, and didn't
dribble feed, but even with a whole pharmacy of tranquilizers in her, she
would still resist the dentist.  Ended up with her clear out under general
anesthesia, and when one got into her mouth it wasn't too tough to understand
her behavior--she had a HUGE sore back inside one cheek about the length of my
index finger and about half an inch deep, with so much scar tissue around it
that it was pretty obvious it had been going on for years.  We had been able
to see the sharp tooth that was causing it, but really hadn't been able to get
an appreciation of how bad the sore was until we had her down.  No wonder she
didn't want anyone to touch her head!  Too many so-called "trainers" just
think that a horse like that is misbehaving, and simply go to harsher
methods...

Heidi