Sour horse? or me?

Any suggestions out there?  My 12yo Arab gelding (1450 end.mi., 450 CTR mi.) has over the last year seemed more and more out of sorts.  I have had him for 8 years.  I've always been a pretty conservative rider,  this horse has very few wins but top ten every 50 but one  with some BC's in there.  We also finished our first 100 mi. last season.  He has always been a "spooky" horse on training rides,  I have to train on roads or trailer 30min to trails, which isn't an option sometimes, as I work and have 2 children.  Spirit has fallen with me once, shying at something or other, and it doesn't seem to matter how often we go past the object, or if I sweet talk him past it, he still shys violently at times.  He had also started refusing to take the bit after vet checks last season, something he's never done before.  Now, he's refusing to let me catch him to ride if he's loose inthe  paddock, and this is new also.  In his defense, Spirit is fabulous on the trails, very steady, great trot, could probably go farther in this sport with a less conservative rider.  He shys on the trail, too, but not to the extent  that he does on the road.
    And he just looks at me like he doesn't like me very well, which hurts.  Do I give him a season off?  Does he not like  what we do anymore, in which case I sell him, I can't just keep a big pet?  I've had him to a chiropracter, I've changed saddles, this horse has had more loving care than I've ever given to a horse, but his attitude is really starting to irritate me.  I also have my old distance horse (25 and he IS a pet) and an 8 yr old that I started last year.
    What do you think?  Spirit and I have alot of years and miles together, but I'm at a loss as to what to do.