Re: RC: Re: ti's "article"

  >><< OK, the horse gains 150 pounds in weight and goes from a condition
score of
 whatever to whatever.  Say 3 to 5.  I'm assuming the horse isn't just
 standing around in a stall doing zippity-doo-dah while he's gaining weight,
 you're conditioning him as well, right?  So sure, there's muscle gain there,
 which is being fueled by sufficient energy in his diet.>

Egad, Susan, we're starting to agree. Let's talk politics instead.

 >But on the other hand, I can also take an emaciated horse, feed it up while
 it stands in a small pen to get it to a CS of 5 or whatever, and still have
 almost no muscle there at all, because I didn't work the horse to illicit
 muscle cell hypertrophy.  The horse has a condition score of 5, but I doubt
 he's gonna go out and win any races.>

Nothing I hate worse than illicit muscle cell hypertrophy. Whatever you do
with the horse, it's body's first priority is going to be to repair weak
tissue, not to store fat.

 >Condition scoring only evaluates based on the visual and manually palpated
 cover over certain anatomical areas.  It doesn't include any assessment of
 musculature at all (at least not if you're doing it right), ONLY the
 relative cover over certain skeletal landmarks, like spine, tuber ischii,
 withers, etc.>

I can't agree more. Body scoring delivers almost no genuine information and
leads to false assumptions all around. However, there is going to be a
practical priority in gains in these areas and that priority goes to lean
tissue, always. Once there is excess energy, after all the rebuilding is done,
and the body score has changed dramatically, then there will be deposition of
fat in certain very specific areas.

 >>Susan G

ti