Fwd: RC: Sportsmanship on the trail

In a message dated 3/24/99 2:29:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, elfs@c2i2.com
writes:

<< d rule for
 well traveled trails because of time and congestion purposes. But each
 trail passing situation is different and I would hope that people would
 be courteous most of the time at our rides. H >>

I am reminded of one conditioning ride in our beautiful santa monicas where
some visitor form the hinterlands who apparently had not been taught good
manners nor safety came roaring up behind me and my rather testy black mare
who HATES to be tailgated. With some room to pass, this rider apparently
couldn't get her horse to do so, and so she continued on my tail (the trail
was too narrow to pass easily) even though I asked her to stay off my tail
until there was room to allow her to TRY to pass. When I finally got sick adn
tired of trying to keep my mare form decking her horse, I told her that my
horse DOES kick and was preparing to let it go - this idiot told me that this
was MY problem. Well, within seconds, my mare made it HEr problem. She took
the first fork in the road. Did she think I was joking?

Common sense and courtesy - and of course treating others the way YOU would
want to be treated goes a long way, except in cases of extreme ignorance where
the riders have no CLUE how THEY should be treated, and so create a dangerous
situation. So...we educate each other, work towards courtesy for ALL of our
sakes, and ultimately show the gate to those who would continue to to be rude,
hazardous and and selfish.
sandy

---- Begin included message ----
Hi All !
   On the subject of passing and sportsmanship on the trail here are
a few of my thoughts. We are all going to encounter folks on the trail
that frustrate us from time to time. No one is really expected to yield
trail in dangerous spots. Safety for all on the trail should be first. It
is
reasonable to let people who wish to pass, pass at the soonest, safest
opportunity for all. Impatience is no excuse for having wrecks on
questionable
trails, ie too narrow,rocky, high or otherwise dangerous. Those with
marginal riding skills hopefully are learning many things about trail
manners when they are out there, and it is up to those of us who know
whats' right and wrong to teach them if possible. I WILL let someone
know when their behavior is unacceptable and innapropriate on the trail,
especially if it endangers others. Remember this is supposed to be FUN,
not blood and guts. When I traveled with my pack animals the rules for
trail travel were thus : Uphill strings have the right of way in the
morning,
and downhill strings have it in the afternoon, and this is a good rule for
well traveled trails because of time and congestion purposes. But each
trail passing situation is different and I would hope that people would
be courteous most of the time at our rides. Happy Trails, Dru

---- End included message ----