Re: Fwd: RC: Dogs at Rides

-----Original Message-----
From: Bluebirdpr@aol.com <Bluebirdpr@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 1999 7:29 PM

>travel alone without our dog.  We are having our first ride next week and
we
>have asked that no dogs be brought because of our resort rules, but we know
>that some people will bring them and we will deal with it.  As long as

There is a ride in Central Region - The Sandblast - that is held on a Boy
Scouts Ranch. Apparently Boy Scouts across the nation have a rule about NO
DOGS. The first year this ride was held, someone reported that there was a
dog in camp because there was a leash on the ground. Ride management never
saw the dog, no one heard barking (that I am aware of). Second year, no dogs
or reported sightings of dogs or dog equipment. Ride management is very
adament - if you bring your dog, you cannot camp on the Boy Scout Ranch -
period.

You can delete the rest if you don't want to hear why I take/do not take my
dog.

Earl has never been treated like a dog. He goes everywhere Bo or I go,
sleeps with us (we now have a king size bed) and we basically bought the
truck with him in mind, too (Ford super-cab with the fold-down bench which
became his bed/seat). He is our third son.

First year of the above Sandblast ride, I did not take Earl to the ride. Bo
had to work that weekend, so he took Earl to work with him (his company
likes Earl). Second year, Bo was planning to come to the ride after work, so
I took Earl. We camped at the ride manager's house. This is where you camp
if you have dogs.

One of our Central Region Vets travel with their two dogs. If you don't have
a place for Peggy (the 4-legged, furry human) and Ginger at a ride, then
Gail won't vet your ride.

We happen to love well-behaved dogs, so this is no problem. I, too, have a
problem with the not-so-well-behaved dogs. I hate to have a dog pee on my
stuff, or grab our food, or potty where everyone is walking.

These three dogs I've mentioned by name are all well behaved canines. No one
has ever said they have a problem with any of these three in camp. Earl has
been at endurance rides since he was 9 weeks old. When horses are in camp,
he is on his blanket by my side. If the ride manager says "dogs on leash",
he has a leash on while laying on his blanket at my side.

Linda Parrish
Kennard, TX