RE: Fearless Travel

To Tina, who satirized being safe on the road, may you never experience the
terror of having to defend yourself while traveling.  Let me tell you of my
incident on the way to the Fire Mountain ride last month to do P&Rs.  It was
in my car on a main interstate in California, with lots of traffic.  Out of
nowhere, a Ford Escort pulled in front of me and slowed way down.  When I
went to pass him, he sped up, then allowed me to pass, pulled in behind me
on my tail.  He then proceeded to play cat and mouse up the highway,
passing, slowing down, racing me when I tried to get away.  It went on for
almost 20 miles.  I was afraid to get off the highway and none of the exits
in this area had any big public areas anyway.  Finally, I was able to get
out in front of him and floored it down the highway between 90 and 100 mph.
As I passed him, he was leering at me.  I kicked that little car into hi
gear and never knew it could go so fast.  Never in my life have I prayed to
get pulled over, but I sure was then.  I lost him somewhere near Mojave but
spent the rest of the trip checking my rear view for a red Ford Escort.  Any
women who travels alone must always be aware of the dangers of the road and
not take things lightly.  Look around you, take what precautions you must,
be it a cell phone, dog, whatever.  I'd even consider a schutzhund trained
dog.  Take a self-defense class, learn how to protect yourself.  Whatever
you do, don't ever stop if someone pulls up beside you to tell you
something's wrong with your car.  If someone rear ends you on a deserted
road, drive away if you can.  It's not worth the risk of your life to get
out and check for damage.  It's not the "dangerous ride camp environment"
you have to worry about, it's getting to the safety of that camp that's the
problem.
Been there, done that, may it never happen again!!
Barb