top tenners ediquette...

I just had a conversation with a regular top tenner who is not on this list
(but knows about it) and I asked some questions about stopping at water etc
if you are in a top ten position and going for placement or a win.  A few
points came up which make sense to me.  Remember I'm talking about top
tenners in 50s or 100s.

If your horse is top tenning these rides, one must assume that horse is not
only physically conditioned, but mentally "trained" to take care of itself.
A horse that won't drink / eat is not going to make it....it will run out of
gas.  It "should" never reach this caliber of being in the top ten position
without a good base where it has proven it will take care of itself.....ie:
eat, drink, pace throughout the competition.

This person rides lots of different horses (won't say their name since they
are not typing this...) and these horses are experienced and proven enough
by this stage in the game to either stop and drink regardless of who is
around them or who is leaving, or do not want to stop and want to keep on
going.  Blasting past someone is definately a no no, but riding calmly pass
after giving the choice to drink and waiting should not be.  At this stage
it is a competition and it is sometimes the little things that give the edge
and allow the win.  Waiting for someone else's horse to maybe drink or not
drink is not one of them.  Having a horse better trained to eat and drink
regardless of surroundings is.

Just a different perspective...

We also spoke about if you are in a different position and competing to
finish or against your personal best.  Then waiting for all to drink or ask
permission to calmly move off applies.  You don't want to take the other
horses "energy" with you when you go.

(I betcha Bob Morris would agree if he were around...)

Kimberly (scooping the poop) & Mystery the Morab.."get a life lady, lets
ride!"
Pt.Reyes, CA