Fwd: dogs

In a message dated 3/23/99 7:19:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, joym@visi.net
writes:

<< I have
 dogs every where I ride and my horses think they are common place things.

Safety is of course a major issue since not ALL horses are accustamed to dogs
running around at thei heels. many people think that dogs and horses NATURALLY
would run together. I disagree. The surest way to send a horse bolting is to
have a coyote or perhaps a large dog after him. It is instinct. Aside from
that, there is the matter of where they, well, you know, do their business -
on others' hay, behind the wheel of someone else's trailer, on MY CREW BAG -
these are of course who are loose or on those idiotic long leashes that allow
the to play here we go 'round the maypole with horse's legs. A dog so well
behaved and monitored that no one knows he is even there - unless one visits
the owners - is not a problem. It is the dog who belongs to a person who
thinks the dog has every right to run free. Why? Because HE LIKES IT!
:)
san

---- Begin included message ----
Sandy,

I've tried to stay out of this conversation, but...I travel with my Pom to
most rides.  He is 8 years old and suffers with seizures.
If I leave him at home and he has one I may find him dead and I would not be
able to live with that.  When I take him I try to be very careful not to let
him run all over camp and keep him with me at all times.  I have not had any
problem s with him being at rides in the NE ride region.  If I had not been
on ridecamp I would not even know of this problem.. At the rides in this
region dogs are common.  But I do sympathize with those that have had bad
encounters, but wonder where are the dogs in their training area.. I have
dogs every where I ride and my horses think they are common place things.

---- End included message ----