Montell Cliff-Hanger Ride (long story)

Hello All,
Thought I would share my experience of the Montell Cliff-Hanger. I was one of the timers on all three days.
Background:
I haven't been spending a great deal of time outside due to many different things. I went to Cougar Prowl on March 6 and timed that ride. The weather was great for the horses; not so great for the workers. I was wind and sun burned on the face, ears, nose, hands and had just finished peeling from that experience when I went to Montell. I got there early to see my friends.

Thursday was, of course, spent outside talking to all the fine folk that were there. (Thursday's weather was just like what Friday turned out to be.)

Again, the weather was perfect for the horses on Friday. Windy, a little bit of cloud overcast, and temps in the high 50's - low 60's. I got sun/wind burned again. The horses came through in fine form. There were maybe three pulls for lameness, zero metabolic pulls on this day. (Sorry I can't remember the number of starters/finishers, but it was a large ride.)

Saturday was warmer than the past couple of days. The sun came out, but the temps stayed in the high 60 - low 70 range. Bad sunburn this day. My lips are really chapped in spite of all the chapstick/sunscreen I have been using. As for the horses, maybe a couple of lameness pulls and one metabolic pull - the horses are doing good. Again, I can't remember the number of starters/finishers, but there were over 100 total starters.

I wake up on Sunday morning with my lower lip looking like I had LOTS of collagen injections! It is puffed out so bad I have real trouble trying to smile or laugh! (This is terrible for me!!!) :))  During the day, it starts getting back to normal size. Again, the sun is out. We had to start for home before the 50 mile ride was over this day. I stayed and helped Randy Moss finish timing the 25 milers through. 14 starters in the LD and everyone of them finished today! Eleven started the third day of 50 miles. There were two lameness pulls by 2:30 when we had to leave. My lips were feeling somewhat better though, I thought.

Got home at 10:30 and when I woke Monday morning, my lips were way puffed out again!!! This morning they aren't quite so puffed, but they are starting to crack. May be in a little pain by tomorrow!!!  :|   (This is my version of smiley face for the moment!)

From now on, when you see me timing rides in my big sombrero, you'll know why!

See some of you at the Bluebonnet ride -
Linda Parrish
Kennard, TX