making Sugardyne

I sent this several days ago to the list, don't know what happened,
but here is the "recipe".
--
I have been asked by several people how to make Sugardyne.  I
am embarrassed to state that I have never worked out a ratio,
mainly because I have used different forms of bedadine.  The final
product should have the consistency of thick honey, in other
words, you can stick a spoon in it and it will stand up for a second or two.  The
consistency changes with temperature (it gets pretty darn stiff
when cold!), use room temp as a guide.
I have used Bedadine (not the best), Bedadine scrub and Bedadine
gel (Biozide or similar).  It does not take much.  I stir in the sugar
until I have a mixture that looks and feels like granulated honey.
Then I heat it.  You can use a microwave or stove.  Be very careful,
it will expand and overflow, is very hot and will make a real mess.
Only fill the container to 1/3.  As it cools, I stir it.  When it reaches
room temp., I check the consistency.  It will be very granular at this
point, but should not be "soupy" (add more sugar, reheat).  If it is
too hard you simply won't be able to get a spoon into it to stir (add
more Bedadine and reheat).  I then let it "age".  Over time, the
granular appearance changes to a nice smooth honey-like one
which is ideal for applying to wounds.  I stir it up once in a while,
but basically it will keep forever just sitting in a closed tub.  One
batch has lasted me 5 years or more as one is hopeful that one
never has to use it on a nasty wound.  But thank goodness it has
been there when I needed it.  At little goes a long way.

When applying, use a tongue depresser to slab some on the
wound.  The horse's body temperature will make it "melt" onto the
tissue.  If you apply with your fingers, expect it to "melt" there too.
 Expect the Sugardyne to make things a little sticky.  I only wash
it off when healing is progressing well,  a warm water hosing
working the best.

My understanding is that Sugardyne has been used for bed sores
for decades.  The sugar makes it hypertonic which keeps infection
from forming.  Skin cells seem to respond to the high sugar
content and healing results rather than proud flesh.

I can picture all of you running to your kitchens and making
batches of this stuff.  While you are at it, bake a batch of brownies!
John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@vermontel.net
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall