One of THOSE days

You know when you have one of THOSE	days.  Well yesterday was mine.  It's
been raining in the NW for sometime now, but yesterday although overcast it
wasn't raining.  So I packed the horses and off I went with a friend to
ride.

All went well until about seven miles from the trailer when I notice that my
horse was a bit off.  He must have slipped in the snow or somehow injured
his leg.  So I hopped off and start walking.  Of course I have my winter
Araits one and my warm woolly socks which start to wear a hole in my foot
somewhere around mile five.  Only three miles to go, I'm not sure whose
lamer at this point....FINALLY I reach the trailer, untack, load the horses
and head for home.  My husband meanwhile has wondered what took me so long.
Must have been that long stroll I took, hummmm.  My feet are killing me, so
I kick off my riding boots and since nothing remotely feels reasonable on my
now RAW foot, I put on some sport sandals and head out to the barn to take
care of the rest of the horses.  While I'm out there I decide to soak my
horse's foot in some ice water to reduce any swelling that may have occurred
so I load up a five gallon bucket with ice and add some water, thinking I'll
just put his foot in there while he eats his grain and he won't mind so
much.

No sooner does his foot hit the bucket, those ice cubes rattle and I'm
flying.  He leaps up and across the stall, knocking the bucket over with the
ice cubes which are now sliding everywhere, but as far as he can tell
they're headed directly toward HIM!  He's snorting, staring at those cubes
which are after him, meanwhile pinning me against the stall divider and of
course, landing on my un-shod foot, OUCH!  If he could have crawled in my
pocket, he would have.  In retrospect, it was pretty funny the way he was
looking at those sliding ice cubes and guess if he hadn't landed on my foot
and pinned me again the wall I would have fallen face first in the ....
maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

He really was sorry (about my foot)he showed just how, as I walked him out
to the hose, wet soggy socks and all, to hose his leg for a few minutes in
the cold water   He happily munched my hair, licked my shirt and nuzzle my
face with his sloppy nose until I was done.  No hard feelings... I don't
think I'll try the icing quite the same way again.  Should have known...it
is live and learn or....

Hobbling....

Dawna