Keep your farrier happy!

We've been quite fortunate with finding an excellent farrier when we
moved to our new home in a different state.  We just couldn't convince
our old farrier to drive 8 hrs each way to do our guys!

We asked lots of horse people who they used, what did they like/dislike
about them, what did they do with their horses (show vs pasture
ornaments vs trail riding).  We heard the same name come up.
Repeatedly!  Donald had just had a customer move away, so he was able to
take us on.  He shows up when he says he will, he is willing to try new
things if we ask, yet is willing to give his opinion first about whether
it will work like we hope.  He will special order any shoes/nails/pads
that we want.  (Most of his customers don't use the horses as much as we
do, so they aren't as particular about what is used.)  He will tack on a
lost shoe for free for the first 3-4 weeks (and sometimes longer).  He
doesn't undershoe the heels to keep the horse from pulling it off.  He
is willing to do corrective, painstaking work to keep one club footed
horse sound and competing.

What did we do to keep Dick (our old farrier) & Donald (our new one)
happy and shoeing for us for the last 14 years?

Our horses are in and clean when they arrive.  Coats, feet, etc.
groomed.

Our horses are trained to stand quietly for the work.

We fly spray the guys.

We tie up their long tails (no corneal abrasions from lashing tails!)

We provide level footing on rubber mats for his work.

We have a graveled drive to the barn - no worry of him getting stuck in
the mud.

We provide shade/heat/fans/light appropriate to the time of year &
setting

We are always there to hold the horses for them, and we take an active
role in deciding what is right to do this set.

If he works into lunch or dinner, we make sure that he gets a meal with
the rest of the family, or we send a snack with him since we're 45
minutes from where he lives.

We pay on time, everytime.  No billing and delayed payments.

We volunteer our horses and time for the girl scout horsemanship day
that he & his wife sponsor each spring.  In return, he educates us about
our horses' feet.

I wouldn't give Donald up for the world.  He's kept two horses with only
fair feet (one club, one horse foundered years ago) sound and competing
at <very> reasonable rates.

Linda Flemmer