Fwd: RC: In support of farriers

We have possibly the world's best farrier (hear me, Vince??) since not only
does he do quality work, but he has a caring approach to our horses and is
also a gentle fellow, always wililng to talk frankly and kindly about each
horses, what they need, whatever problems they have, and he is ALWAYS ON TIME!
On just a few rare occasions such as illness, he has been unable to make an
appointment, and he called, apologetic and eager to reschedule. When our
stallion stepped on a newly applied shoe (going from a trot to a walk fo
Pete's sake!) Vince was out THAT AFTERNOON and put it back - it was only a day
old!IT was not a poor job on his part - the dumb horse just stopped kind of
cockamamie - but he didn't charge a fee, and we were rolling again a that day!
He costs a little more than most, some less than others, but I consider it
well worth the quality of work - and a lifelong friend! What a deal!
sandy

---- Begin included message ----
This shoe coming off thing can be a tricky subject as there are so many
ways a shoe can come off for a variety of reasons (there just is NO set
length of time shoes should last as every horse is different and every
situation is different)... my farrier husband always responds to calls
within 24 hours (usually it's me) and he will almost always reset it for
free unless it's a chronic problem with the horse as in it keeps pawing
a wire fence and pulling the same shoe over and over.  However, everyone
should keep in mind that time is money to a farrier...we have one lady
that insists on paying us even if we just stop in to "check" on shoes or
hoof growth (we usually even it out somewhere down the line!). Would it
kill you to "offer" him even $10 for his trouble?  TALK to your
farrier....he is not a hoof god though some think they are.  He is a
human being and if you don't tell him you are unhappy about something,
how is he/she to know?  Don't immediately dump him without giving him
opportunity to rectify the situation.  Of course, if they don't call you
back, it's hard to talk to them!!  :)  We pick up a lot of new business
from people who love their farrier but can't get him to call back or
show up!  There are some great articles on www.horseshoes.com.... one
called Finding a Good Farrier and another the Cost of Shoeing Your
Horse... and one recently posted called Why can't I keep a farrier?....
all great reading for anyone who owns horses!!  Check 'em out!  By all
means, if you need to find a new farrier, do so but it's not always easy
and the above mentioned website can really give you some good ideas
about how to proceed and find one you can work with. A good one!!  They
ARE out there if you take time to look and in the long run, even one who
charges more will SAVE you money!  Good luck!
Maggie (the farrier's wife)

---- End included message ----