Re: LD and the convention

>Bluebirdpr@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> My wife and myself went to our first AERC convention recently in Reno.
We
>> went with great anticipation of meeting a lot of new people and
<snip>
<linda_cowles@mentorg.com>
>The convention is an opportunity. It's up to you, as an individual, to
>make the most of it. The convention is a chance to learn, to meet
>people, to become involved.
<snip>
>Closed or cliquey groups? These are probably groups of friends, focused
>on each other and enjoying their time together - this is real life!!!
>You want to have a good time? You want to learn? You want to meet
>people?

I just have to butt in here! I used to be a shy person before I got involved
in endurance, but people can change.......  :))
There were three of us 'friends' going to one of the restaurants for a meal
on one of the days. We were standing behind a group of other endurance folk
(knew some of the faces), and we all started talking about endurance and
horses. This group got their table, but the one lady in between the two
'groups' didn't go with them. Well, we thought she must surely be an
endurance person, so when they called her, we told her she could sit with us
if she didn't want to sit alone. So she agreed. Turned out she was there for
a different convention (Loganberry Baskets), knew next to nothing about
horses - let alone endurance! But she was asking questions and we never shut
up about endurance. She swore it was NOT a boring meal!  :)
It can be a lot of fun when you start up a conversation with a total
stranger at the conventions.
I've been to six in a row and am planning to attend the next one. I go to
listen to (and every now and again speak out about something) on the
committee and board meetings. I also get to listen to some of the speakers
when they don't conflict with a meeting I want to attend.

Linda Parrish
AERC #92
Kennard, TX