Re: RC: Proposal from Donna Snyder-Smith

Donna,

I have ridden about 150 miles competetively in the past few years all LD
rides from 15- 35 miles in length.

During those years I also was an AERC member even tho I didn't need to
be doing only LD. Due to family and work committments I have been unable
to train my horses adequately to do a 50 or greater distance, even tho
that is a goal I do continue to have as time allows. I enjoyed the LDs I
did, but felt there was a stigma associated to just learning...LD...and
never really knowing how you placed in the ride. Yes, I was pleased we
finished and sometimes quite well but I guess I was frustrated my
efforts were not viewed as warranting a placment even tho I paid a
higher fee mile-fo-mile than my "endurance counterparts paid" Most of my
25 milers were only $10-15 cheaper than the 50 or 100 milers fees. I
feel my money should have given me a placement as well as being reported
to the endurance news for publication. There's something special about
"being in print" that lends legitimacy to an endeavor and records an
event as history. I believe that the only LD I did that was reported and
recorded by EN was Hahira Ga. Pam Linahan does a great job every year at
that ride.

I have not renewed my AERC membership this year because of these
inequities in the way things are being done by AERC and their ride
managers.

I hope you can initiate some change in the way they operate. I will not
be back as a member unless they are more LD friendly. I will continue to
do my training rides as able and hopefully do my ultimate 50 miler on a
regular basis someday.

Thanks for your leadership in dealing with a routine problem AERC has
during rides held.

Susan, Sabian, Flybye, and baby Dandy

I like your basic idea about the different levels, but it seems a bit
burdensom with so many you have subdivided into. Why not just three?