Re: Sunriver Classic Endurance Ride

Dear Ridecampers:

Following my post to Ridecamp yesterday about the Sunriver Classic Endurance
Ride, sanctioning director Steph Teeter has reconsidered her actions and has
notified me that she is asking for a withdrawal of the sanctioning of Sunriver
that was granted to other parties without my knowledge or consent, and is
submitting instead the application for sanctioning from Sara Miller.
Stephanie and I had agreed to this compromise in Reno to make sure that the
ride could be held while I protest other actions.  I am glad to see that, for
whatever reason, she has realized that this is the correct course of action.
So--for all of you who have been planning on coming and have been wondering
what is going on, rest assured that Sara and I will work diligently together
to make sure that you have the same quality of ride on the scenic Sunriver
trail that riders have come to expect over the years.

It saddens me a great deal to see what amounts to a personal vendetta being
attached to a worthy cause such as fundraising for the Pacific North squad.
Few have worked as hard as we have to support FEI rides in general and the
Pacific North in particular.  I personally spent thousands of hours and
dollars putting on the Pan American Championship in Bend in 1997, to give the
Pacific North the opportunity to be the host zone and to help put our riders
and our rides "on the map" so to speak.  At several of my rides over the
years, we have held raffles to raise money for either USET or Pacific North,
depending on the circumstances.  It had been our intention to continue that
policy this year to assist Pacific North with fundraising efforts, and we
likely will continue with that plan.  I certainly hope that by their actions,
the individuals who have attempted this "takeover" of the Sunriver Classic
don't cast shadows on either the ride or the fundraising efforts so necessary
for our squad to attend the 1999 Pan American in Manitoba.

Sincerely,

Heidi Smith, DVM--(Oregon)