Re: RC: LD and the convention

Ohhh boy.... who was it that just said they kept finding themselves
shoving both feet in their mouth at once? I get tired of the taste of
Ariat Tartar...

Bluebirdpr@aol.com wrote:

> My wife and myself went to our first AERC convention recently in Reno.  We
> went with great anticipation of meeting a lot of new people and getting exited
> about the up and coming season in which my wife was looking to riding a few
> 50s and then really concentrate on the 100s.  We left Reno with a completely
> different attitude about AERC and "endurance riding."  We both were surprised
> at the "Closed" clicky groups and how political AERC and most people were.  I
> mean even at the Ridecamp breakfast no introductions were ever made and it
> wasn't until the very end when most people had left that someone suggested
> passing out name tags.  I could never figure out why there was so much hoopla
> about LD riders, but after going to the convention and seeing the attitude of
> the "serious endurance riders," I now understand.  Since life is too.....short
> we have decided to ride for the pure pleasure and beauty of the sport and
> leave the "serious endurance riders" to continue their bickering and
> complaining and brown nosing to themselves.
>
> Friendly LDs from the SE

Well... this isn't about LD, it's about ownership, attitude and
initiative.

I guess you weren't told... nobody is there specifically to introduce
you to everyone else. We're all just riders - like you! Sometimes we
whine and moan to each other, humans do this. Your letter is a pretty
good example of the type of "bickering and complaining" that's common
whenever folks have a chance to talk.

The convention is an opportunity. It's up to you, as an individual, to
make the most of it. The convention is a chance to learn, to meet
people, to become involved. It takes a good attitude to get the most out
of it, and a tiny bit of initiative.

Last year was my first full year of endurance. I've been around for a
dozen years, but I'm a newbie. Prior to last year, I rode infrequently.
I usually crewed for others and helped out at rides. I've done much LD.
Last year was my first "real" year of endurance after more than a decade
as a wanna-be. I have a lot of experience with horses, and I have many
friends who are great horse people. But I'm still "new" when it comes to
riding endurance (50+ miles).

I looked at the convention as an opportunity. I wanted to meet other
RideCampers, so I decided, shucks - I'll set up a breakfast. Sue Brown
liked the idea, so she kept lists of who was going to be there so we
could have approximate numbers. The Idea was to get us all in the same
place so we could introduce ourselves to each other. Now, if Sue and I
had known that you were so hot on 3rd party introductions, we would have
nominated you to be the Host! Lucky you to not be found out, eh?
<heh!heh!heh!>

It was meant to be informal, like a dinner at a ride. Setting up
something like this is a **great** opportunity for anyone who finds
themselves wondering why things aren't done better!!!  It's thankless,
99% of the people appreciate it, but the vocal ones are often whiners!

I grew up the hard way. When I want something to happen, I roll up my
sleeves and get started. I'm rarely disappointed because I manage my own
destiny.

What was REALLY cool? I went to the Trails Committee Meeting and became
a member, and I made a proposal that landed me a bunch of volunteer
work, because trail acquisition, development and retention is something
I believe strongly in. THAT was a great experience! The people at the
Trails Committee Meeting showed an amazing amount of initiative,
enthusiasm and energy!! Next year I'll have even more fun.

Closed or cliquey groups? These are probably groups of friends, focused
on each other and enjoying their time together - this is real life!!!
Even churches are like this! Politics are important though; that's how
business gets done in large organizations, and the yearly convention is
the time and place for it. This isn't all play. Keeping an organization
like AERC healthy and vital takes a *lot* of work! Reality strikes, eh?
Yep.

You want to have a good time? You want to learn? You want to meet
people? Make it happen. This sport is almost completely run by diligent
volunteers. If you jump in and help out, you'll fit in, no matter what
your background. The best way to introduce yourself to an endurance
rider is to say "Hi! Need a hand with anything?" The choice to introduce
yourself, to get involved, is yours. If you want to be introduced to
someone, put your hand out... it's that easy. I'm not kidding!!! It
WORKS! And smile. That helps too.

I came away from the convention with a sense of enthusiasm, excitement,
potential, intensity... I was inspired....

"Make it happen" is the best advice I can offer.

Linda - Gilroy CA

--

"When you think you're through changing, you're through..."