Secure oldie

When I go to an AERC sanctioned ride I am a very secure oldie. I know that the
ride managers will welcome me; I know that the ride will be controlled by
experienced veterinarians for the safety of my horse; I know the trail will be
marked; I know that the playing field is level and I know if it is not I have
an organization that allows me to protest and expect a fair hearing.  I know
that there will be certain amenities in camp such as water for my horse and
porta-potties.   I know if I have a problem, or have forgotten my bridle or
hay for my horse  or my own dinner I can go to the nearest  camper and someone
will help me even if it is a total stranger. I know if I break down on the
trail, someone will help me there also.  I can count on one hand the number of
times I have been treated rudely in 35 years at this sport regardless of
whether I chose to ride a limited distance or an endurance ride.  I have never
felt discriminated or looked down upon when I rode the lesser distance. It
would take forever to count the times I have been treated courteously.  And
when I want to go to a ride I can grab my Endurance News and see a schedule
complete with the length, location, date, ride manager's name and telephone
number.
I can read articles on how to condition, how to feed, how to treat lamenesses,
how to become a better rider, where to buy my tack, and on and on.  Most of
all I know that I will be surrounded by people who share my belief that this
is the only game in town and I couldn't be any happier than being in the midst
of it all.  Thanks, AERC.      Julie Suhr