Re: NEW: Farrier thread/question

Hi Heidi,
I had a similar problem with a farrier last year.  Please bear in mind that
I always call and make an appointment at LEAST two weeks ahead, I am always
there to hold the horse, I offer coffee, pop, water, whatever.  Plus, I have
a check ready!
 I had used him because one of my friends did.  I had him for two years.  I
was always losing a shoe or two on different horses and because I was new,
thought that this was normal.  Over the course of the two years, I started
getting very frustrated with 1-losing the shoes 2-when I called him it took
at least a week to have him return my calls 3-he charged me every time he
came back.
Finally the last straw was last summer after I had just started endurance
riding/conditioning.  My gelding lost a shoe and after a week of calling
every night and getting an answering machine, I called his wife at her work
to see if he was out of town or whatever??  She informed me that he was just
too busy to always be coming back to put shoes on for me and that he would
call whenever---
So, I started doing some research and found a wonderful shoer!!!  When I
told him about the missing shoe, and how I had an upcoming ride, he showed
up the next afternoon, put on the missing shoe, and didn't charge me
anything!! He always shows up for appointments, does a wonderful job
shoeing, never gripes and grumbles about his job, etc...  ALSO, I have never
lost a shoe since! (Knock on wood !)
The first guy showed up two weeks later, without an appointment or a phone
call, and when I informed him that the horse was already done, he let loose
with a torrent of swearing and cussing at me and stomped off.  Then he had
the nerve to call me that night and holler some more.  When I informed him
that I didn't appreciate his behavior and that I was sorry but  that he
wouldn't be shoeing for me again, he hung up on me and hasn't spoken to me
since.
Hopefully your farrier has better manners than this!  I really like my new
farrier and hope he never quits!!
Good luck,
Carrie