fees non rider

If AERC has a justification for charging a non-member fee, it should do so.  If revenues are down or insufficient to provide services which our dues pay for or which we expect, then non-members, who enjoy the benefits of our rides without having to pay dues for them, should be glad or willing to pay a non-member fee.  There is hardly an organization, whether professional or non-profit, which doesn't require non-members to pay a fee or a service or good.  One of the benefits of membership is an equitable share of costs.  Non-members are not participating in this sharing of the costs and benefits of association.  Their contribution is a paltry $10.00 fee to AERC which may ensure that there are sanctioned rides next year.

Ride managers have a conflict of interest:  Personal income generated by the ride and AERC's need for revenue.  As a rider, I prefer not to subsidize non-members through my dues.  It is not a right to ride, it is a privilege.  And I thank the ride managers for putting on the rides.  And I thank AERC for being an agent in the development of the sport.

PNER has sent a resolution to AERC on fees and other matters.  To wit:  Before imitiating any fees, AERC needs to conduct a cost benefit analysis to determine if the fee is justifiable, then present that to the membership for consideration.  (I beleive in a nutshell that summarizes it.)

I had no qualms about paying a non-member fee my first ride.  Of course, I was a non-member!  So what's the big deal?  I joined my region and AERC immediately, however, because I prefer to be part of something I realize I want to do.  It never occurred to me only to take in the rides.  And, I did this as a LD rider.

janetb