LD racers and dogs..Problems

When I did my 2nd LD there was a "career" 25 mile LD rider there who
never wanted to move up (to each their own) but the way she rode gave a
bad example to novices just starting out.

Over the rocks...no slow down.  Passing when there wasn't room.  Go, go,
go...not pace, pace, pace.  The only example it gave was what "not" to
do...if you knew better!

When I was on the American river "fund ride" we were on part of the
trail which is a single switch back high above the river where one wrong
step could result in injury or death (in fact, one horse did go over the
side as you 'll may remember last summer).  This person's loose dog came
up behind Mystery who spooked angrily and tried to turn and kick
him...we both almost went over the edge.  And yes, Mystery is very use
to dogs but didn't know he was there.  It wasn't the dogs fault, it was
the owners, yet the owner and friend were angry at me for being angry at
them and if room / occasion would have allowed, I probably would have
ended up in a fist fight!!!!

Lastly, I was disappointed in the Gold Country 30 that my position was
unknown in the completion....for about 2 minutes.....because I
understand the logic behind it.  LD are not for completion against other
horses, it is to learn about the in's and out's of a ride.  Ultimately,
the competition in ANY race is against your PERSONAL best.

AND, I know lots of people who top 10 on 50's and 100's, and I know how
they condition their horses, and I know they give them the best care
possible.  But it is easy for others who don't know to perceive they are
running them into the ground when it isn't so.  The viewer isn't there
the next day when that horse goes home and the owner is monitoring the
recovery; a huge indication of the condition of that horse.  It really
is up to a ridevet to determine if a horse is not fit to continue...it
may be up to the membership to tighten the parameters, but the vet is
the educated and trained party who should make that ultimate decision.

Anybody doing some fun riding out there these days?  Mystery practiced
chasing some calves off the trail Sunday, then, when we ran into a 1300
pound bull he started shaking his head at it like it was one of the
calves!!!  Too much training me thinks! <g>

Spring is almost here....lets ride!!!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Pt.Reyes, CA