saddles

Since I'm out of lurking mode, I'll reply to some recent saddle
questions, too.
Inexpensive saddles:  I used a Big Horn synthetic endurance model all
1998.  Cost was about $425 from KV Vet or Valley Vet Supply(I don't
remember which) I rode over 800miles on my endurance horse with it and
500miles on my competitve horse.  Neither horse had any problems on
their backs.  They are not problem horses to fit.  Both had a good to
high whithers. The saddle does need good stirrups like EZ Riders or
Cloud.  You also need a short lesson in how to apply the centerfire
rigging properly. It aldo needs a different and shorter girth than the
felt one that comes with it.  I used a 24-26 inch neoprene girth. I used
a Toklat Woolback pad under it.  The saddle wear over all these miles
and conditionig miles is minimal.  Looks in great condition.
DeSoto saddle:  I have one of these and it fits all my many different
horse backs well.  I think someone was asking about the girth and pad.
I use a 24-26 inch neoprene girth.  Longer is too long.  I use the
Toklat Woolpad pad on it too.  I didn't like the felt pad that came with
it.
My truly favorite saddle is my OrthoFlex Traditional.  I've worn it out!
It has 9000 endurance miles, 7000 competitive miles and all the
conditioning for those miles, too.  The tree and panels are good, yet,
it just needs alot of work and a new one would be more practical, but
too expensive.  It is serial #166.  I found on my few short horses with
short backs the long panels did rub  and break hairs over the loin.  The
skin was never exposed and the horse never showed soreness.  He did 3000
of those miles including a number of ROCs.  The longer, bigger horses
never had a problem with the hair rubs. The saddle does weigh a ton!  I
have never had a problem making any reasonable weight using the OF.
Roberta Harms